Tuesday, December 6, 2011

SactoMofo 3 Recap

Circumstance is a wonderful thing sometimes, isn't it? In this case, the awesome crossing of paths was this: one of the organizers of SactoMofo is my client.

So, mobile food guy and dutiful insurance advisor I am, I pitched in. So did the future Mrs. SactoFoodAndInsurance! It made for quite the fun morning actually. Running around, strategically placing garbage bins, previewing all of the trucks, and making a last-second stop by a Kinko's to get some color copies made me feel like I was on the Amazing Race.

And then... the feast.

The fiancee and I went as a pair, so I was sad to be without a big team for the first time. However, as I was posting signs, I ran into a few friends of mine from the Sacramento Dish Crawls and we did a quick impromptu team-up. As you may have seen me note before, teaming up is the way to go. Everyone splits up, hits a truck for everyone and meets back up with food in-hand.

Behold! The spoils of a group working together. We sampled delicious food from the following trucks: Chairman Bao, Hapa SF, An the Go, Bacon Bacon, Cajun Wagon, El Porteno, JapaCurry.

Some of the big stand-outs of the day? The breaded catfish from the Cajun Wagon was crispy, flavorful and overall delicious! As always, I'm a big fan of the garlic noodles from An the Go. I also sampled a pork bun with what appeared to be curried daikon radish from Chairman Bao, and that was a one-way trip to flavortown. The savory empanadas from El Porteno were wonderful toasty treats for a cool day. Plus, I'm never going to turn down pastry stuffed with beef or mushrooms. Honorable mention goes to the crazy double-barreled-pork-blast-to-the-face that was the pork belly and bacon taco from Bacon Bacon.

Speaking of honorable mention, I was not able to sample any food from Seoul on Wheels, but a big shout out to them. They broke down on the way, and they got towed a pretty major distance. For them to overcome that and still show up to put on a culinary show speaks volumes of how they run their business.

The crowds weren't too bad, either! I'm not sure if it was the location or the number of trucks, but everything seemed a bit more relaxed from SactoMofo 1. I hope that it still led to monster days from all trucks of course, but it was nice to be able to avoid multi-hour long lines.

Overall grade? A+. Great trucks, wonderful folks (both in the trucks and eating from them) and an overall good feeling about the day makes this a must-see event. If you haven't done one of these before, mark your calendar as soon as you see the next one on the horizon. It'll be worth your time and money.

1 comment:

Awesome Wordage said...

Sorry we missed you there! We just had a relaxed walk-through while munching on bacon bouquets. Then we got some jambalaya from Cajun Wagon. It was freaking delicious!