Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Battle Apple

Those that know me pretty well know that I'm quite competitive. Those that read this blog also know that I love food. Did you know that I also love food competition?

Not only am I a fan of shows like Iron Chef, Chopped and Sweet Genius, but I apparently like to imitate these shows during my free time. Example? This weekend, prior to a trip to Apple Hill, I proposed an idea to my fiancee: let's each plan to make an apple pie and see who makes the superior pastry. I even put the idea out there of doing a full Chopped-style deal of an appetizer, main course and dessert involving apples, but I was sadly shot down.

I'm already at a disadvantage in that my fiancee has recently turned out to be quite the baker, but I figure it should be fun regardless. I already struck first, albeit informally, with some baked apples, but it looks like my competitor will be making the first official pie tonight.

I think I already have my recipe ready to go (and a trick up my sleeve!), but if anyone has a secret weapon I should know about, please let me know. I'll take any advantage I can get. In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed both for the taste of my pie, and also for the health of my left hand. Knives and my hand don't always get along so well!

2 comments:

Susan said...

an issue you need to consider if you use a top crust is that the apples bake down and then you end up with an empty dome. how do I know this?? I think from Alton Brown.....

Melissa said...

If you need a judge, I am happy to offer my services. I am extremely judgemental about apple pie. Heh.