Thursday, November 3, 2011

Inconclusive Results

Battle Apple has come and gone. The results? Tough to say. First, let me introduce you to the competitors...


Both are made from scratch and were fresh from the oven just the other night. Very different preparations, though! One was a more traditional pie with a flaky crust, and the other was a skillet-pie with a biscuit crust. Between my fiancee and I, we couldn't decide upon a clear winner. So we decided to go the only fair route we could imagine: blind taste test.

Both options were brought into the insurance mines for a best-of-seven taste test. Sounds simple, right? Well, that's where things got complex. I asked folks in the office to taste the pies and I got many volunteers, but we went with the first seven available folks, and I got what I thought was a close (but conclusive) results. Four votes to three votes in favor of pie "A", the picture on the bottom. BUT, hours later, two of the folks I had asked to participate but were unable to at the time came back and voted for pie "B". So the best-of-seven quickly turned into a best-of-nine.

However, at that point, the taste test wasn't so blind! After the initial seven votes, people wanted to know who made what. So word got out! Either way you slice it, a tainted victory for either pie "A" or pie "B". Scandal!

So, what would you do in my shoes, not know which pie is mine? Declare pie "B" the winner, as defined by the original best-of-seven votes? Or throw in the two additional, possibly-not-so-blind votes and give the victory to pie "A"?

3 comments:

Susan said...

without tasking them, I would go with #A. a pie requires a PIE crust....a biscuit crust is for a cobbler type dessert. not the same!

SactoFoodAndInsurance said...

Let's not get too far into the technicalities here. If the competitors are both satisfied with the definition of "pie", I think it really just comes down to tasting.

Melissa said...

Secret truth: I have always preferred an apple crisp to *pie* (I don't really like pie crust much) so just from looks alone I would go for the bottom pie. I'm confused as to which pie is which and which should be given the victory based on the fact that I completely do not understand what just happened. But I do feel like apple crisp now!