Thursday, January 19, 2012

The value of an insurance advisor

It's been a strange start to the year! Historically, I've had a pretty loyal client base, but recently I've seen a wave of cancellations. This isn't all that strange, as people cancel all the time for a variety of reasons. They sold their home, they moved out of state, their situation changes and another company is better suited... that happens. But to switch 6-9 months after the intial sign-up, with no real issues or complaints? This is new to me.

I don't fault my clients for this. In the end, they act in their own best interest, and I can completely respect that. But for so little time to pass, it leaves me with a big question: what exactly IS the value of my service?

I suppose that answer varies from person to person. For my (obviously biased) part, I'd gladly pay for a go-to person I can count on as opposed to having to count on a call center exclusively. To put this in food terms, I'll pay extra to get a great meal from a local restaurant, even though I could go next door and get a similar fast-food meal for a lot less. But, I suppose that there are reasons the fast-food places thrive.

It makes an insurance guy wonder. Do folks at small burger joints get a bit offended when they see people walk down the street to get a McDonald's burger? Different priorities for different folks is what it comes down to, I suppose.

No comments: