Thursday, July 28, 2011

Minor Fair Food Update

So, as noted earlier, I ventured to the California State Fair this past weekend and went a little crazy on the food. I did miss out on a few things I wanted to try though, and since I was going back I figured that I'd be able to sample a few more things and update my reviews! Sadly, I didn't get as much eating done as I anticipated, but I'll share what I've got:

BBQ Pork Sandwich - I know, I know, relatively standard stuff. Nothing really crazy about this, but it's still pretty good. Admittedly, it's also pretty expensive at the fair, but it's more about the experience than anything else. We got our food out in the big BBQ area with the stage, a whole seating area, etc. I think it was Big Bear BBQ, if memory serves. It's slathered in a tasty sauce, so there's that.

Grilled Corn-On-The-Cob - I'm not sure why I never did this until recently, but grilled corn is awesome. Since I started grilling at home more frequently, I tried this out and I've never looked back. It was delicious at the fair, too! And it had a bit of a "fair food" twist to boot. When we were getting our food, they asked us if we wanted butter, to which I responded, "Sure, a little is fine." The guy they opened up a crock pot full of melted butter and poured about 3/4 of a cup of melted butter onto the corn. We made sure to revise that to, "just a tiny bit" for the second serving.

Deep-fried Moon Pie - I'm a closet fan of Moon Pies, so this was one I was looking forward to! And it was pretty tasty. A bit like a S'more, with the cookies, chocolate and marshmallow filling. Also, compared to many of the other deep-fried options, it was relatively cheap. I think it was $3, where many of the other options are $4 or $5. I'm not sure why, since it was a pretty big item! Big enough where I, a pretty big eater, couldn't handle it all. Sadly, we were not able to pair this with the planned deep-fried peanut butter cups, as they were out. Next time around, I suppose!

Watermelon Juice(?) - I'm not sure what we drank. I thought it was supposed to be a watermelon lemonade deal, but it didn't taste like lemonade. Frankly, I'm not even sure if it tasted like watermelon. But it was refreshing! My fiancee had a thought that we may have been so used to watermelon flavoring as opposed to actual watermelon, that we didn't recognize it when it wasn't in solid form. I'm still not sure, but, hey, it's worth a taste. I had my thoughtful face on every time I took a taste, though. I probably looked confused.

Funnel cake - It's a classic, and it's still amazing. If you somehow have not had funnel cake, just do it. It's like a deep-fried bird's nest of deliciousness.

I think that's all for me this year! I doubt I'll make it back again this year, but I'll be back next time around, and I'll be looking for my deep-fried or otherwise bizarre treats!

2 comments:

Susan said...

we took a friend with braces and found that for 50 cents more you can get a "cup" of corn....it was a great deal and just as tasty!

when you are ready to get adventurous on grilling that corn, just let me know! we have a couple different tried and true ways we love!

SactoFoodAndInsurance said...

I'm always open for some recipe ideas!