Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Sacramento "Super Friends" of Food Trucks: Week 3

Today, I was able to take off a bit earlier than normal and pick up my fiancee so that we could both enjoy the food truck alliance gathering. Sadly, I feel like we picked the least interesting week so far.

For those not in the know, the location of the gathering changed this week. Before, it was Tognotti's Auto on Fulton. I was pretty pleased with the location due to the shady areas which led to a pretty leisurely stroll to browse the trucks. This time around, it was Mel Rapton Honda, which was also on Fulton, but a bit further down the road. Sadly, the shade wasn't around to save us. I found myself sticking to the trucks like glue to try to get in the shade, but then I'd catch some heat from the trucks. I couldn't seem to win!

Also, this was the first week where we had no additional visitors! No Taco Azteca. No Corn Cakes. No Leaven and Earth (which is a HUGE loss). No music. Still no sign of Chando's or Wicked 'Wich. We still had Drewski's Hot Rod KitchenMini Burger Truck and Mama Kim On the Go, but I want more variety! A taco truck, a guest truck, or a new truck, or some other vendors like the folks from Simply Southern who brought the delicious Corn Cake to sample from last week. I just don't want things to get stale, and I'm worried that they will if something isn't done to spice things up soon.

However, all of that being said, the food was still awesome. Since I had a partner in crime this week, we divided and hit all three trucks pretty quickly. From Drewski's, I had a request for a repeat of last week in a Mustang sandwich, so we went that route. Still in a suit, this time I ate with elbows out, and the sandwich far away from my body. I'm pretty sure I looked ridiculous, but if I'm eating and my clothes remain clean, I don't really care. From MBT, we split a pair of mini burgers: the Cowbell (think a bacon burger) for the fiancee and an All-American for me, which was basically a small chili-cheese burger. Sadly, it was probably my least favorite from MBT, so I'll likely stick with the Ninja, but it was still tasty. Finally, from Mama Kim's, we went with a tuna salad sandwich with a wasabi aioli, accompanied by sweet potato chips. The chips may have been the highlight of the entire visit! Obviously freshly made, and perfectly done, they were an awesome side choice. The sandwich was quite good too, though I would have liked a more distinct sauce. I'm still not sure why people never seem to be lining up for Mama Kim's. Just because their social media presence isn't great doesn't mean their food isn't good. It's well-worth the trip!

So, there you have it: good food, but an overall experience headed in the wrong direction. I will continue to attend, but I want more, folks! More variety. Better location. More of an "experience", not just a place to go for food! The experience is what has been setting the whole food truck thing apart, and I don't want to lose it.

On a semi-related note, I'm in the process of making my last push for Dinner and a Deductible, which is happening this coming Wednesday. If you still haven't had a chance to check out Drewski's Hot Rod Kitchen, or if you have and you just want to go again, this is your chance to have dinner on me. I need a final head count by Monday the 11th, so don't delay. I hope to see you there!

1 comment:

Awesome Wordage said...

I think they're probably relying on the fact that not everybody is going to go every week, so they're not really worried too much about variety. They didn't factor in you and your extreme dedication to food.