Monday, June 27, 2011

A balance between quality and atmosphere

I've always been someone to focus on the food at any given restaurant. I don't care how it looks or how nice the decor is, I just want it to taste amazing.

Well... my judgment is being tested after this weekend. For any of my Twitter followers with sharp eyes, I mentioned that Chevy's was in my future. For Sacramento-dwellers, you likely know a little about the Chevy's on Garden Highway, generally known as "On the River" variety of Chevy's.

My fiancee and I went there on Saturday for some birthday celebrations, along with a few of her close friends. Only afterwards did I really realize that, hey, my fajitas weren't all that good. In fact, the chicken was bone-dry. The reason? Because we all just had such a good time. There was laughing, there were stories, there were balloon animals and balloon head-apparel (no joke!) and all-around, everyone just enjoyed themselves. We had a balloon snake that at one point ended up in a large Margarita glass, which led to seemingly infinite "Snake in the Glass" comments. I hurt myself laughing at one point, and I had no beverage other than water!

But they took forever to serve us, they kept trying to give us the wrong food and I had the aforementioned chicken that appeared to have been sapped of any juices that it may have once had. Even then, bottom-line, we still had fun. "Best dinner ever" had been mentioned, and not in an ironic sense either.

So what does this mean about the restaurant, exactly? Is it just the proximity to the river that made it fun? The occasion? At what point does the sheer fun of things outweigh the fact that the food really wasn't that good? I went to review this particular branch on Yelp earlier today, and I'm really just stuck. How the heck do I rate this?

No comments: