Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Sacramento "Super Friends" of Food Trucks: Week 2

So, remember how on Tuesday I talked about how I never had a food explosion on my work clothes? Well, it turns out that fate has interesting timing. On the way home from week two of the food truck "Super Friends" gathering, I was bringing home a Mustang sandwich from Drewski's and I decided, hey, why not have a bite? Ka-blam. Sauce all over my shirt and suit pants. Nothing a good dry cleaning won't fix, but still, ironic, right?

All of that aside, the second gathering was great. And this time, I didn't have work to rush back to so I had time to enjoy myself a bit more! First stop was Leaven & Earth Sandwich Co. All of the other three trucks had pretty sizable lines, but I was able to walk right up to Leaven & Earth. To all of the folks who walked right by, let me tell you this: you made a mistake. The sandwiches here are fantastic. They're not flashy, but things don't have to be flashy to be good. Sometimes doing something simple, and doing it extremely well is all you need. For the record, I had the Vermonter which had delicious smoked turkey, sliced apple and a really tasty cheddar cheese.

Do NOT pass them by again if they grace the food truck gathering next time around. It's worth the trip.

As I was finishing my first round of face-stuffing, I hear someone yelling at me! Sure enough, it's Meg and Cheree, who I've been lucky enough to meet from my adventures over on Twitter. We sat, chatted and discussed people throwing things from moving vehicles as we compared our food choices from the day. This was actually the first time I'd met Cheree in person, but we sat down and chatted away like old friends. Oh, how I love the internet!

Following that, I checked out a small vendor that set up in the adjacent parking lot. Simply Southern Foods was pitching something called Corn Cake and it was pretty interesting. Think a cross between pound cake and cornbread. Really, quite tasty. I brought that and half of the soon-to-explode-upon-my-suit Mustang sandwich home to the fiancee, and they were enjoyed. Good additions to the food gathering!

Also in attendance were Mini Burger Truck, Mama Kim on the Go and Taco Azteca. Chando's was still a no-show (mechanical issues this week I believe), and again, I'm starting to think that Wicked 'Wich is actually just a complex prank and not an actual food truck. It seems like they're never going to launch. Maybe next week? We'll see. I know I'll be there yet again.

Speaking of food trucks, if you haven't heard, you can try Drewski's Hot Rod Kitchen for free on July 13th via Dinner and a Deductible. I'm still RSVPs up until 7/11, so if you're interested, make sure to contact me soon! You can E-Mail me at SactoFoodAndInsurance@gmail.com if you'd like to attend of if you'd like more information!

No comments: