Thursday, June 2, 2011

Food truck misconceptions?

I, for one, love food trucks. Ever since they've really become a popular thing in Sacramento this year, I've gone crazy for food on wheels. I was there for day one of Mini Burger Truck, and I was customer #1 for Drewski's Hot Rod Kitchen. In fact, I ate the first TWO sandwiches off their grill, glutton that I sometimes am. However, I still sometimes feel like the minority when it comes to this food truck man-crush. For example? My co-workers.

Yes, some have been converted. A much-appreciated stop by Drewski's during one of our after-hours sessions a month or so back seemed to do the trick for the folks that were here, but I'll still get the whole, "Ew, roach coach!" reaction from way too many folks I work with.

What is it about food trucks that scare people? Is it the perception of their cleanliness? If you've ever had a chance to look at the kitchen at either of the aforementioned trucks, you won't question it. Frankly, they're among the cleanest kitchens I've ever seen. A bad experience? Possibly, but knowing the people that have this reaction, it's doubtful. Is it simply fear of the unknown? That might be the answer, and it's a little upsetting from my point of view.

If it really is a "I haven't tried it therefore I don't like it" reaction that I'm getting, I have a plea: just eat it, then judge all you want. Take whatever food you love the most, for example. At some point, you had never eaten it. Why can't food from a truck be the next thing you love to eat? On my end, sushi used to terrify me! Now I love the stuff.

Bottom line: try it. If you still think it sucks, judge all day long. But honestly, that probably won't be the case.

Need to overcome your own fear of the unknown? Chase down one of these great Sacramento trucks:

Drewski's Hot Rod Kitchen (Gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches) - http://drewskis.com/
Mini Burger Truck (Shockingly, they sell mini burgers) - http://www.miniburgertruck.com/

No comments: