Friday, June 24, 2011

The Sacramento "Super Friends" of Food Trucks: Week 1

I managed to head on over to the very first meeting of the Sacramento Food Truck Alliance (SFTA, I suppose?) just yesterday, and I have to say, I'm really encouraged by how many people showed up. I left pretty early, but it was coming together pretty nicely. In attendance were Drewski's, Mini Burger Truck and Mama Kim's On The Go, and I can now officially say I've had them all. They're all delicious. It's really nice to have Mama Kim's there to offer a little bit of a lighter fare as well.

Missing was Chando's truck, along with the always-rumored-but-never-confirmed Wicked 'Wich. I'm hoping they'll be on board shortly. However, for those with keen vision, a taco truck was right in the same parking lot! Taco Azteca was the truck, and obviously, tacos were there game. I guess they heard about it but hadn't officially been invited. Good for them for getting in there to boost business a little bit! For the record, their tacos were good, but almost devilishly spicy. Fresh off the grill and smothered in a hot salsa combined to make me red in the face. Seriously though, don't be scared off by the plain exterior of the truck if they show up next week! It's worth a shot at $1.25 a taco.

I REALLY hope this keeps going. I've always been a food junkie, and the more variety I have available to me, the better. However, for the Food Truck Super Friends (I really think they should go with THIS name, FYI), I have a recommendation: create a way to get a sampler from all trucks. For example, have everyone agree on something they can sell for roughly $1.50 each, and create something like this:

-A taco from Chando's
-A basic mini burger from MBT
-A side of the garlic/rosemary tots from Drewski's
-A small noodle/veggie salad from Mama Kim's.

Just have a neutral vendor collect the food, collect the cash from the folks, and evenly redistribute things afterwards. I, for one, would buy this IN ADDITION to making a stop or two at individual trucks.

Think it over, guys and gals. I'd be all over it.

No comments: